Winter Major Announcement
- Challenger Qualifiers – December 5th, December 11th
- Swiss Bracket – December 11th
- Championship Bracket – December 12th – 13th
The Winter Major will take place over four days.
Open Qualifiers – Saturday, December 5th & Friday, December 11th
In lieu of a Double Elimination Open Bracket, the event will include two Single Elimination Open Qualifier tournaments for Challenger teams, with the first Qualifier taking place Saturday, December 5th, and the Last Chance Qualifier taking place Friday, December 11th.
Competition will begin at 12PM, CST for the first Qualifier, and 10AM CST for the Last Chance Qualifier. Each of these competitions will qualify 4 teams directly into the Championship Bracket.
Swiss Bracket – Friday, December 11th
In addition to the Last Chance Qualifier, Friday, December 11th will feature a two-group Swiss Bracket, which will be used to establish final seeding for the Double Elimination Championship Bracket.
Each of the two Swiss Bracket will consist of 8 teams and be divided into a High and Low group consisting of the following teams:
- High Swiss: Top 8 Pro League teams
- Low Swiss: Bottom 4 Pro League teams, and top 4 Challenger teams
Each Pool will play 3 rounds of Swiss Bracket style competition, with the results of Swiss Bracket play being used to seed the Championship Bracket.
Championship Bracket – Saturday, December 12th & Sunday, December 13th
The 28 team Double Elimination Championship bracket will consist of:
- 8 High Swiss Teams
- 8 Low Swiss Teams
- 5th-8th Seeded Challenger Teams
- Top 4 teams from Saturday, December 5th Qualifier
- Top 4 teams from Friday, December 11th Qualifier
Teams will be seeded as follows:
- Teams who place #1-4 in High Swiss will be automatically placed into Winners Round 4 of Championship Bracket.
- Teams who place #5-8 in High Swiss, and #1-4 in Low Swiss will be automatically placed into Winners Round 2 of Championship Bracket
- Teams who place #5-8 in Low Swiss will start in Winners Round 1 of Championship Bracket, along with the 4 pre-qualified Challenger teams, the top 4 teams from the Saturday December 5th Qualifier, and the top 4 teams from the Friday, December 11th Qualifier.
All games will be played as best of 3 except the Grand Finals, which will be played best of 5, with the Winner’s Bracket team starting with a 1-0 map advantage. The higher seeded team will also choose to act as Team A or Team B during the map ban process.
Grand Finals Map Ban Process:
- Team A bans 1 Map
- Team B bans 1 Map
- Team B picks Map 1
- Team A picks Faction for Map 1
- Team A picks Map 2
- Team B picks Faction for Map 2
- Team B picks Map 3
- Team A picks Faction for Map 3
- Team A picks Map 4
- Team B picks Faction for Map 4
Total: USD $140,000
- 1st – $60,000
- 2nd – $35,000
- 3rd – $20,000
- 4th – $10,000
- 5th/6th – $5,000
- 7th/8th – $2,500
The event will be streamed live at live.gearsofwar.com.
Winter Major presented by UMG
Day 1 – Fri, December 11th: Stream starts at 8 AM PT/10 AM CT/11 AM ET/4 PM BST
Day 2 – Saturday, December 12th: Stream starts at 8 AM PT/10 AM CT/11 AM ET/4 PM BST
Day 3 – Sunday, December 13th: Stream starts at 8 AM PT/10 AM CT/11 AM ET/4 PM BST
WATCH & WIN
Stay tuned for more information on what’s up for grabs during the event broadcast.